What should I know before my child uses Parnate?

The antidepressant Parnate (tranylcypromine) isn't usually recommended for children under 18. The drug carries a black-box warning that it may increase the risk of thinking about -- and even carrying out -- suicide in young people. However, a doctor might prescribe Parnate for a child if he or she decides the treatment is necessary.

Parnate can have serious side effects, including hypertensive crisis, a sudden surge in blood pressure that is potentially deadly. To prevent it, your child should not eat foods that are high in tyramine, a chemical substance found most commonly in aged, fermented, improperly stored or spoiled foods. Some tyramine-rich foods are:
  • cheese (except fresh cottage cheese, cream cheese, ricotta and processed cheeses)
  • aged, cured or fermented meat, fish or poultry
  • fermented soybean products (miso, fermented tofu, soy sauce)
  • sauerkraut
  • concentrated yeast extracts
If a doctor prescribes Parnate for your child, your child will need to be closely monitored for as long as she's on the drug.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
In research studies that carefully measure when positive results from antidepressant therapy are see...
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?