What should I know before my child uses Effexor?

Effexor (venlafaxine), a prescription drug for depression, is not approved for children under age 18 -- although in some cases a doctor may decide it's the best drug for a child’s condition.

If your child is prescribed Effexor, you should know that a small number of children and teens, as well as young adults up to age 24, become suicidal after taking it. So pay close attention to any changes in your child’s mood, such as new or worsening depression, suicidal thoughts or plans, extreme worry, agitation, panic attacks, trouble falling or staying asleep, aggressive behavior, irritability, restlessness and abnormal excitement.

If your child experiences any of these symptoms after taking Effexor, call your doctor right away. Make sure that everyone who takes care of your child is aware of these possible symptoms and knows to call the doctor if they develop.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
How does nortriptyline interact with other medications or foods?
If you are taking linezolid, you should not take nortriptyline. Do not use nortriptyline if you are...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?