What is selegiline?

Selegiline is a drug used to treat Parkinson's disease. It is a monoamine oxidase type B inhibitor; it decreases the rate at which dopamine is broken down. It is an effective supplement for levodopa or carbidopa, the primary treatments for Parkinson's. Selegiline is sold under the brand names Eldepryl and Zelapar.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The s...
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder in dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Starting antidepressants in individuals with dementia and depression who may have an underlying bipo...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?