What is phenelzine?

Phenelzine is prescribed to treat depression accompanied by symptoms of fear, anxiety, hypochondria or sadness. This drug elevates certain chemicals in the brain that maintain mental balance. Phenelzine belongs to a class of drugs called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). It is usually prescribed after other medications have failed to effectively treat symptoms of depression.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
What conditions do antidepressants treat?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Antidepressants are Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for treating major depression (i.e.,...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?