What is Paroxetine hydrochloride?

Paroxetine hydrochloride is used to treat a variety of emotional disorders and is prescribed for serious depression that interferes with a person's ability to function. It is also given to people who suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, panic or anxiety disorders, or post traumatic distress. It is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI); serotonin is believed to be a chemical in the brain that controls moods. When functioning normally, it is quickly reabsorbed after its release at the junctures between nerves. This drug slows the reuptake inhibitors, which in turn boosts the levels of serotonin available in the brain. The brand name for this drug is Paxil. 

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
How are antidepressant medications used to treat bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Antidepressants treat the symptoms of depression. In bipolar disorder, antidepressants must be u...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?