What is olanzapine and fluoxetine?

The combination of olanzapine and fluoxetine is used to treat depression, typically in cases where the patient suffers from bipolar disorder.  These medications are only available with your doctor's prescription. Fluoxetine is an antidepressant; olanzapine is an antipsychotic. These drugs work by adjusting chemicals in the brain.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the different types of antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
There are many antidepressants on the market today. Why do we need so many different medications to ...
Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?