What is milnacipran HCl?

The prescription drug milnacipran HCl (hydrochloride) treats fibromyalgia, chronic condition that causes muscle stiffness, tenderness, and pain, as well as fatigue and insomnia. Milancipran HCl is a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, or SNRI. It is not used as an antidepressant, but belongs to the same class of drugs. It increases levels of norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain. These neurotransmitters, which promote feelings of happiness and well-being, also help stop pain signals in the brain. It is marketed under the brand name Savella.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How does duloxetine interact with other medications?
If you are taking... A 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, metaxalone, metoclopramide, paroxetine, a selec...
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?