What is milnacipran HCl?

The prescription drug milnacipran HCl (hydrochloride) treats fibromyalgia, chronic condition that causes muscle stiffness, tenderness, and pain, as well as fatigue and insomnia. Milancipran HCl is a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, or SNRI. It is not used as an antidepressant, but belongs to the same class of drugs. It increases levels of norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain. These neurotransmitters, which promote feelings of happiness and well-being, also help stop pain signals in the brain. It is marketed under the brand name Savella.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
How effective is antidepressant medication?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
Most healthcare professionals would agree that treating depression is not as simple as popping a pil...
What is a dual-action antidepressant?
A dual-action antidepressant, such as Effexor, is a depression medication that also treats physi...
How safe are tricyclic antidepressants for people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Tricyclic antidepressants are used as second-line medications for depression in people with dementia...