What is isocarboxazid?

Isocarboxazid is a prescription medication that helps to treat depression and its symptoms, often after other medications have been unsuccessful. Isocarboxazid is known as a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor, and it affects the amount of certain chemicals in your brain and nervous system. This medication does not work for everybody, and your doctor may ask you to supplement it with a specific diet and take it according to specific instructions. Isocarboxazid is available under the brand Marplan.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
What antidepressants help treat gastrointestinal (GI) disorders?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Three groups of antidepressant medications can be used to treat functional gastrointestinal (GI) dis...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?