What is fluvoxamine extended-release?

Fluvoxamine is a prescription medication used primarily in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The extended-release formula of fluvoxamine is also used to treat social anxiety disorder (fear of social situations). The medication is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), which enhances the activity of serotonin, an important chemical in the brain. In the United States, fluvoxamine extended-release is available under the brand name Luvox CR.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
In research studies that carefully measure when positive results from antidepressant therapy are see...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?