What is Effexor XR?

Effexor XR is the brand name for the medication venlafaxine in an extended-release capsule. It is used in the treatment of adults with depression or one of several anxiety disorders: social anxiety order (SAD), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic disorder (PD). Effexor XR reduces the symptoms of these disorders. It is available only by prescription and belongs to a type of drug class called serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI).

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?