What is Effexor XR?

Effexor XR is the brand name for the medication venlafaxine in an extended-release capsule. It is used in the treatment of adults with depression or one of several anxiety disorders: social anxiety order (SAD), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic disorder (PD). Effexor XR reduces the symptoms of these disorders. It is available only by prescription and belongs to a type of drug class called serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI).

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the side effects of doxepin?
Side effects may include abnormal thinking or behavior, driving or doing other tasks while asleep or...
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?