What is desvenlafaxine?

Desvenlafaxine is a medication used to treat depression and other mood disorders. The medication works by increasing natural substances in the brain helping to enhance mood. It is thought to work by affecting the levels of two neurotransmitters: serotonin and norepinephrine. Desvenlafaxine is available as an extended-release tablet that is usually taken once a day. It can be found under the brand name Pristiq and is part of a class of drugs called serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
How do antidepressants work?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
No one knows for certain how antidepressants work. While we have many pieces of the puzzle, we still...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?