What is desipramine hydrochloride?

Desipramine hydrochloride, also known as the brand-name drug Norpramin, is a medication used to treat depression. It is a prescription medication. Desipramine hydrochloride affects the level of neurotransmitters in the brain, and adjusts the brain's response to these chemicals. Additionally, desipramine hydrochloride has also been used to treat bulimia, attention deficit disorders, and cocaine withdrawal. It is classified as a tricyclic antidepressant.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?