What is amoxapine?

Amoxapine belongs to a group of psychiatric medications known as tricyclic antidepressants and is used to treat depression. It does this by increasing the amount of specific chemicals in the brain that maintain a healthy mental state. It comes in tablet form and is taken at least once a day. After starting on amoxapine, it may take a couple weeks or months before the full effects are felt. Once you begin to feel healthy you should still continue to take the medication. It is only available as a generic medication.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What antidepressants help treat gastrointestinal (GI) disorders?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Three groups of antidepressant medications can be used to treat functional gastrointestinal (GI) dis...
Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?