What happens if I take too much phenelzine?

An overdose of phenelzine is an emergency. A major issue is the potential for a life-threatening condition called serotonin syndrome. In serotonin syndrome, too much of the brain chemical (neurotransmitter) called serotonin is being released. Symptoms include sweating, rapid heart rate, vomiting and diarrhea. Other indications of an overdose include agitation, anxiety or even hallucinations.

If you think you took too much phenelzine, call 911 or get to an emergency room as quickly as possible.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the different types of antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
There are many antidepressants on the market today. Why do we need so many different medications to ...
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?