What is the generic name for Luvox?

The generic version of Luvox is fluvoxamine. It is available in tablet form from several different companies in three dosages, 25 milligrams (mg), 50 mg and 100 mg. Fluvoxamine is prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in adults and children ages 8 to 17. It may also be used to treat social anxiety disorder in some people.

Fluvoxamine belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which work by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is thought to have several functions, including regulating mood. Talk to your doctor for more information about fluvoxamine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?