What is the generic name for Luvox?

The generic version of Luvox is fluvoxamine. It is available in tablet form from several different companies in three dosages, 25 milligrams (mg), 50 mg and 100 mg. Fluvoxamine is prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in adults and children ages 8 to 17. It may also be used to treat social anxiety disorder in some people.

Fluvoxamine belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which work by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is thought to have several functions, including regulating mood. Talk to your doctor for more information about fluvoxamine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What medications or supplements interact with amitriptyline?
If you are taking a 5-HT3 antagonist, an antipsychotic, lithium, metaxalone, methylphenidate, metocl...
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?