What is the generic name for Luvox?

The generic version of Luvox is fluvoxamine. It is available in tablet form from several different companies in three dosages, 25 milligrams (mg), 50 mg and 100 mg. Fluvoxamine is prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in adults and children ages 8 to 17. It may also be used to treat social anxiety disorder in some people.

Fluvoxamine belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which work by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is thought to have several functions, including regulating mood. Talk to your doctor for more information about fluvoxamine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The s...
What are side effects of antidepressants?
Side effects may include fatigue, sleepiness, headaches, insomnia, dizziness, nervousness, fever, dr...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?