What is the generic name for Effexor?

The generic version of Effexor (venlafaxine), a prescription antidepressant, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2006. An extended release form of this drug, Effexor XR, also is available in a generic form. Besides depression, Effexor XR is prescribed to treat generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder and panic disorder.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

How safe are sedating antidepressants for people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Oftentimes, doctors will use sedating antidepressants for sleep issues in people with dementia. A ve...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What conditions do antidepressants treat?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Antidepressants are Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for treating major depression (i.e.,...
Does the FDA place warnings on antidepressants?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has now placed a warning on the labels of antidepressants...