What is fluoxetine HCL?

Fluoxetine HCL is a prescription drug used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, and some eating disorders. It is also sometimes used to treat premenstrual dysmorphic disorder. It is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Serotonin is a naturally-occurring neurotransmitter responsible for feelings of well-being. Fluoxetine HCL works by increasing the amount of serotonin in your brain to alleviate feelings of anxiety and depression. Low serotonin levels have been linked to anxiety disorders and depression.

Fluoxetine HCL is available in a number of brand-name versions, including Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra, and Rapiflux.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
Why might my antidepressant not work?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
All depressions are not the same. This may explain why some antidepressants work better in some peop...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?