What are dual reuptake inhibitors?

The dual reuptake inhibitors venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) are a class of antidepressants that block the reuptake of both serotonin and norepinephrine. To a lesser degree, they also block the reabsorption of dopamine. Venlafaxine and duloxetine are prescribed for generalized anxiety disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, either initially or when selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) aren't effective or cause intolerable side effects.

Like SSRIs, however, these medications can exacerbate sleep problems and cause nausea and headache. Effexor XR, the extended-release form of venlafaxine, has fewer side effects than the shorter-acting version. For example, it doesn't cause nausea. Plus it is taken just once a day. However, Effexor XR is not approved for children or teens.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?