What should my child avoid while taking Luvox?

While taking Luvox (fluvoxamine), a drug prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in children ages 8 to 17, your child should avoid the following:
  • taking any other medication or supplement without consulting the doctor first. Luvox may interact with other drugs and some supplements, increasing risk of side effects or interfering with how well Luvox works. Before your child starts Luvox, give the doctor a list of all his medicines (prescription and nonprescription), supplements and herbal remedies. Be especially careful to mention any drugs used to treat mental health disorders, asthma or headaches or to relieve pain.
  • smoking or using alcohol or other drugs recreationally
  • missing appointments. Your child's doctor may want to monitor his response to Luvox, watch for side effects and closely measure his height and weight while he is being treated. Luvox may cause decreased appetite and weight loss in some children.
  • skipping doses, taking too much or too little Luvox or taking it more or less frequently than directed
  • driving a car, operating machinery or doing other potentially dangerous activity until he knows how Luvox affects him. Luvox may cause drowsiness, poor decision making and slowed reaction time in some people, possibly raising risk of accidents.
  • giving up on the medicine too soon. It may take 10 to 12 weeks to notice improvements in OCD symptoms, but studies show that about three-quarters of children and teens who take Luvox eventually do notice improvement.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How do antidepressants work?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
No one knows for certain how antidepressants work. While we have many pieces of the puzzle, we still...
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?