What is Celexa used for?

Celexa (citalopram) is an antidepressant medication that's used to treat major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults. Available in tablet or liquid form, Celexa belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These drugs are thought to help improve depression by helping a particular brain chemical, called serotonin, deliver messages from one cell to the next.

In addition to treating MDD, Celexa is sometimes prescribed to treat eating disorders, alcoholism, panic disorders, social phobia and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?