Who should avoid taking mirtazapine?

Children, teenagers and young adults may want to avoid mirtazapine, as they are at increased risk of side effects like suicidal thoughts. You also should not take this drug if you are allergic to any of its active or inactive ingredients. If you've taken an MAO inhibitor, you must wait at least two weeks before starting mirtazapine. It is not known whether mirtazapine affects pregnancy or breast milk, but if you are pregnant or nursing be sure to discuss the benefits and risks of this drug with your doctor. You should also talk to your doctor about the risks of taking mirtazipine if you have bipolar disorder; high cholesterol; seizures; heart disease; phenylketonuria; or a history of strokes, kidney or liver disease.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How safe are sedating antidepressants for people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Oftentimes, doctors will use sedating antidepressants for sleep issues in people with dementia. A ve...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?