What is amitriptyline used to treat?

Amitriptyline is primarily used to treat depression.

Amitriptyline, which is an older medication known as a tricyclic antidepressant, treats symptoms of depression by increasing the amounts of natural materials in the brain that help control normal mental balance and function.

In some cases, amitriptyline can be used for other conditions such as eating disorders and pain from shingles or migraine headaches.

Talk with your doctor about any emotional or physical health issues that affect your daily functioning. Your doctor can help provide solutions to improve your quality of life.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How effective are tricyclic antidepressants at treating migraines?
Guidelines published by the American Headache Society state that amitriptyline is probably effective...
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?