Can I use Tofranil if I am breastfeeding?

Experts suggest that women stop breastfeeding while taking Tofranil (imipramine). There's data to show that this antidepressant may pass into breast milk. Your doctor and pediatrician can help you weigh the risks and benefits of treatment with Tofranil versus the benefits of breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
What are the risks of taking antidepressants during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Antidepressants are generally reserved for the treatment of serious depression during pregnancy....
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?