Can I use Tofranil if I am breastfeeding?

Experts suggest that women stop breastfeeding while taking Tofranil (imipramine). There's data to show that this antidepressant may pass into breast milk. Your doctor and pediatrician can help you weigh the risks and benefits of treatment with Tofranil versus the benefits of breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants...
What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?