Can I use Celexa if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking Celexa (citalopram), an antidepressant medication. Celexa can pass to a breastfeeding baby through breast milk. There have been reports of weight loss, decreased feeding and increased sleepiness in infants who were breastfed by mothers taking Celexa.

Your doctor may recommend that you do not breastfeed if you need to take Celexa, but do not stop taking it without talking to your doctor first. Stopping Celexa suddenly may cause serious withdrawal symptoms. If you need to stop taking Celexa, your doctor can tell you how to do it safely.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can antidepressants help with weight loss?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
Antidepressants are confusing when it comes to weight loss. Some of them have been shown to increase...
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?