Can I use Celexa if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking Celexa (citalopram), an antidepressant medication. Celexa can pass to a breastfeeding baby through breast milk. There have been reports of weight loss, decreased feeding and increased sleepiness in infants who were breastfed by mothers taking Celexa.

Your doctor may recommend that you do not breastfeed if you need to take Celexa, but do not stop taking it without talking to your doctor first. Stopping Celexa suddenly may cause serious withdrawal symptoms. If you need to stop taking Celexa, your doctor can tell you how to do it safely.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
How does nortriptyline interact with other medications or foods?
If you are taking linezolid, you should not take nortriptyline. Do not use nortriptyline if you are...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?