How soon after taking citalopram will my symptoms improve?

While you will likely begin to feel better pretty quickly after starting a citalopram regimen, it often takes four weeks before the medication takes full effect. Unless otherwise directed by your doctor, you should continue to take the citalopram even if the symptoms of your depression do not improve right away. If your depression worsens, or if you begin to experience thoughts of suicide or a desire to injure yourself, you should contact your physician immediately.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants...
How often should I take antidepressants for perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
There are various types and doses of antidepressants available by prescription from medical health-c...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?