How soon will my symptoms improve after taking escitalopram?

No two people respond to a given drug in the same way. You may notice that your mood and outlook on life improve in as little as one week after you start taking escitalopram. However, it may take up to one month before you experience the full benefits of this drug.

Don't stop taking escitalopram if your symptoms improve or you think it isn't working. Talk to your doctor, who will probably instruct you to adjust your dose gradually.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are side effects of antidepressants?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
Side effects of antidepressants include the following: Common side effects: These include nausea an...
What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?