What should I know about Emsam before taking it?

Before using Emsam, you should be aware of the rare but potential risk for an increase in depression and, possibly, suicidal thinking. Some research suggests that the risk of suicide is highest when antidepressants are first started and continues until the antidepressants have a chance to start working. Also, some people with depression might have undiagnosed bipolar disorder, and it is possible that treatment with Emsam could trigger hypomania or manic symptoms, such as impulsiveness, hyperactivity, an increased need to talk, irritability and difficulty sleeping.

You should also be aware of the need to avoid too much of the protein tyramine in your diet or in dietary supplements. Tyramine is found in foods that are fermented, pickled foods, aged or dried meats, aged cheese, soy products and fava beans, among others.

Emsam can interact with other medicines, including antidepressants, cough and cold medicines, pain medications and St. John's Wort. It is important to tell your doctor about all of the medicines, prescription, over-the-counter, herbal and dietary supplements that you take.

Emsam should not be used by people with certain medical conditions, so it is important to discuss your medical history with your doctor. It is also important to discuss any recreational drug use with your physician, as the use of alcohol is not recommended with Emsam, and the use of cocaine can be very dangerous. You should be careful driving or using heavy equipment until you know how Emsam affects you. If you have surgery with anesthesia scheduled, you will need to stop using Emsam at least 10 days earlier.  

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

How common is taking antidepressants?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Duke University and the University of Arizona periodically conduct a survey on friendship. In their ...
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What are the side effects of SSNRIs in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs) include Effexor (venlafaxine) an...
What are side effects of antidepressants?
Side effects may include fatigue, sleepiness, headaches, insomnia, dizziness, nervousness, fever, dr...