Is it safe for me to take milnacipran during pregnancy?

Probably not. Although milnacipran is not used to treat depression, it belongs to the same class of medications as many antidepressants and there are some concerns about the effect of these ingredients on a developing fetus. As with all drug use during pregnancy, the benefits of a drug must outweigh the risks to both the mother and fetus. Milnacipran has been assigned to pregnancy Category C by the FDA, which means that animal studies indicate that milnacipran may be harmful. Milnacipran has not been fully studied in pregnant women.

The drug does cross the placenta to reach the fetus, and if the fetus is exposed during the last few weeks of pregnancy it is possible that there will be problems with breathing, feeding, irritability and jitters. Symptoms may be from the effects of the drug or withdrawal from the drug that occurs after delivery.

It is important to tell your doctor if you are planning to become pregnant or become pregnant while you are taking milnacipran. The manufacturer has asked pregnant patients to voluntarily join a pregnancy registry for patients taking this medicine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What are the side effects of doxepin?
Side effects may include abnormal thinking or behavior, driving or doing other tasks while asleep or...
How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
In research studies that carefully measure when positive results from antidepressant therapy are see...
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If medication for depression is necessary, expect to have regular appointments with the physicia...
Can teens take antidepressants for bipolar disorder?
Yes, and they can be incredibly helpful. However, they are used with extreme caution in children b...