Is it safe for me to breastfeed while taking milnacipran?

Milnacipran (Savella) is used to treat symptoms of fibromyalgia, a condition that causes pain, muscle stiffness and tenderness, fatigue and sleep disturbances, and may not be safe to use during pregnancy. Although milnacipran is not used to treat depression, it belongs to the same class of medications as many antidepressants and there are some concerns about the ingredients passing into breast milk to affect a nursing infant. Milnacipran has not been studied in nursing mothers and it is not known if it reaches into human milk. It has, however, been detected in the milk of studied animals.

Therefore, at this time, breastfeeding is not recommended if you are taking milnacipran.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How do antidepressants work?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
No one knows for certain how antidepressants work. While we have many pieces of the puzzle, we still...
How can I choose an antidepressant?
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?