Will protriptyline interact with other drugs I take?

Protriptyline may interact with many different drugs, so make sure that your doctor knows about all drugs that you are currently taking to avoid potentially dangerous interactions. There are many drugs that could interact with protriptyline, but that can still be used as long as your doctor is watching you carefully; an example of this is the class of drugs known as ACE inhibitors. However, the interaction of protriptyline with any of the following drugs is so serious that you should not be on them while on protriptyline. These drugs are:

• artemether
  • dronedarone
  • iobenguane I 123
  • lumefantrine
  • MAO inhibitors
  • nilotinib
  • pimozide
  • quinine
  • thioridazine
  • ziprasidone

Many of these drugs, when taken in combination with protriptyline, can lead to dangerous heart rhythm abnormalities; others can cause a dangerous condition called serotonin syndrome.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
What are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?