If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Effexor?

Talk to your doctor about whether it’s safe for you to use Effexor (venlafaxine) during pregnancy. There have been some cases in which the infants of mothers who took Effexor during the last few months of pregnancy had seizures. Other potential complications for a baby exposed to Effexor include vomiting, feeding problems, respiratory problems and low blood sugar.

Before taking Effexor, tell your doctor if you're pregnant or plan to become pregnant. And be sure to call your doctor if you become pregnant while on this drug. The risks are primarily in late pregnancy, so your doctor may suggest a plan to gradually reduce or eliminate your Effexor dosage during your third trimester, or put you on a different antidepressant.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
If you are taking antidepressants, it's important to see your doctor every couple of weeks when firs...
What should I know before taking duloxetine?
Your doctor will need to measure your blood pressure before starting treatment. If you take duloxet...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?