Is nefazodone safe for a teenager to take?

Nefazodone (Serzone) is an antidepressant used to treat major depressive disorders. It is a phenylpiperazine-derivative antidepressant that works in a different way than other antidepressants. Nefazodone carries many safety warnings for both adults and children, and these events are not unique to nefazodone but apply to other antidepressants as well.

A major warning, called a Black-Box Warning, alerts users of any age to the potential for liver toxicity, worsening of depressive symptoms and thoughts of suicide. There have been reports of some nefazodone users under the age of 24 who have thoughts about harming themselves and committing suicide. It is unclear whether children taking nefazodone are more at risk for suicide than their non-treated age-mates.

If your child is taking nefazodone, be on the lookout for extreme changes in behavior, changes in sleep, aggressive behavior, restlessness and mania.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?