Does milnacipran HCl interact with other drugs?

Milnacipran HCl (hydrochloride) can interact with a number of other prescription drugs. You should not take milnacipran HCl if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) within the past two weeks. Life-threatening drug interactions could occur. Talk to your doctor before taking milnacipran HCl if you are taking any of the following:

  • anticoagulants
  • diuretics
  • clonidine
  • digoxin
  • epinephrine
  • tramadol
  • lithium
  • tryptophan
  • drugs for migraine headaches
  • antidepressants
  • non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, including aspirin and ibuprofen
  • duloxetine
  • clompramine
  • sedatives, sleeping pills, or tranquilizers
  • narcotic pain medications
  • venlafaxine
  • muscle relaxers

You should avoid drinking alcohol while taking milnacipran HCl, since it can make side effects like drowsiness and dizziness worse. Talk to your doctor about any other prescription or over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and supplements you are taking, especially cold, cough, and allergy remedies.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Read More
What is nortriptyline?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Nortriptyline (Pamelor) is an antidepressant that can help people quit smoking. But it has not been ...
More Answers
How is doxepin used to treat insomnia?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
More Answers
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.