What should I know about paroxetine CR before taking it?

When you first start taking paroxetine CR, it may take up to four weeks for your symptoms to improve. Do not stop taking it until your doctor tells you to do so. Talk to your doctor if your symptoms have not improved after four weeks. If you are taking any other medications, including prescription or over the counter, tell your doctor before starting this drug. In order to stop this drug, your doctor should reduce your dosage gradually, since stopping all at once can lead to dizziness, abnormal dreams, and tingling sensations.

If you are under 24, when you first start taking this drug, you may have thoughts of suicide. Your doctor will need to see you regularly for the first 12 weeks. Call your doctor right away if you experience mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, impulsiveness, irritability, feelings of being agitated, hostile, aggressive or restless, or more depressed or hyperactive. In unborn babies, this drug can cause heart defects or life-threatening lung problems, so don't take it when you are pregnant. If you become pregnant, talk to your doctor before stopping.

You should not take this drug at the same time as you take pimozide, thioridazine, or any monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). If you have bipolar disorder, any history of suicidal thoughts or drug abuse, a seizure disorder, liver or kidney disease, or a bleeding or clotting disorder, these conditions may be complicated by use of this drug. Do not drink alcohol or take any sedative drugs while taking paroxetine, as these could worsen the dizziness and sleepiness that may be a side effect of this drug. Do not drive until you know how paroxetine will affect you.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What antidepressants are used to treat Alzheimer's disease?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
Here is a list of the antidepressant medications used for Alzheimer's disease and their correspo...
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
If you are taking antidepressants, it's important to see your doctor every couple of weeks when firs...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?