What should I know about protriptyline before taking it?

Protriptyline is an antidepressant. Antidepressants are known to increase suicidal thoughts or behaviors in children, teenagers and young adults. However, the benefits of treating depression may outweigh the risks associated with antidepressant use. Your doctor can help you weigh the pros and cons to taking the drug. Protriptyline can cause drowsiness, so don't drink alcohol or take the drug with other medications that can also cause drowsiness. Don't drive or operate machinery until you know how protriptyline affects you.

Protriptyline may affect your blood sugar; if you have diabetes, your doctor may need to alter your diabetes medication dosage. Protriptyline increases your skin's sensitivity to the sun so always wear sunscreen and avoid overexposure outside. Older adults are more sensitive to side effects caused by protriptyline, including changes in blood pressure, confusion and irregular heartbeat.

Medications that may increase the effects of protriptyline include: azole antifungals, cimetidine, duloxetine, flecainide, methylphenidate, phenothiazines, propafenone, quinidine, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and terbinafine. Taking protriptyline with the following medications increases the risk for high blood pressure, heart problems and seizures: arsenic, droperidol, furazolidone, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), pimozide, quinolone antibiotics, streptogramins, tramadol, and ziprasidone. Protriptyline may be harmful to an unborn child, although the benefits of use may outweigh the risks. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before taking this drug.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the different types of antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
There are many antidepressants on the market today. Why do we need so many different medications to ...
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?