What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents.

If you have a seizure disorder, an abnormal heart rhythm, enlarged prostate (BPH), angle-closure glaucoma, or thyroid disease, nortriptyline may not be a good option for you.

If you have cardiovascular disease or a cardiac conduction defect, nortriptyline can lead to serious side effects.

If you have had urinary retention, nortriptyline may not be a good option for you.

If you are in the recovery phase after a heart attack, you should not take nortriptyline.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, you should not take nortriptyline. The health of your baby may be at risk if you take nortriptyline.

You should not take nortriptyline if you are breastfeeding. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I help prevent weight gain from antidepressant medication?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
If you find yourself troubled by weight gain as a side effect of antidepressant medication, ther...
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?