What should I know about mirtazapine before taking it?

Before taking mirtazapine you should know that this medication can increase suicidal thoughts or cause unusual mood changes in some people, particularly those in their teens or early 20s. Mirtazapine also can interact with other medications you may be taking for depression or other mental illness, including MAO inhibitors. You may not be able to drink alcohol while taking mirtazapine.

The medication can complicate certain health conditions, particularly heart disease, liver disease, seizures and phenylketonuria. Be sure to discuss all medications you take, as well as your health history, with your doctor before you start to take mirtazapine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the risks of taking antidepressants during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Antidepressants are generally reserved for the treatment of serious depression during pregnancy....
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?