What should I know about Effexor XR before taking it?

Before you take Effexor XR, you should be aware that this medication may cause suicidal thoughts at the beginning of treatment. This is more common in people younger than 24 years of age. Effexor XR cannot be taken if a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor, such as phenelzine, has been used within the previous 14 days.

In general, your doctor needs to know about all of the medications, herbal products or vitamins that you are taking before and while you are on Effexor XR. Inform you doctor if you have had allergic reactions to any medications, a reaction to this medication and any other allergies you may have.

Older individuals are more likely to have kidney and liver conditions that may require adjusting their dose of the antidepressant Effexor XR.

Pregnant and breastfeeding women should discuss the use of this medication with their doctor because adequate studies do not exist about the safety of Effexor XR in this population.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

How is duloxetine used to treat osteoarthritis?
Duloxetine (Cymbalta) is a drug that was developed to treat depression. It is also FDA-approved to t...
What should I know before taking duloxetine?
Your doctor will need to measure your blood pressure before starting treatment. If you take duloxet...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
How do antidepressants work?
Tarique D. Periera, MDTarique D. Periera, MD
Antidepressants reduce and reverse depression. They are believed to increase mood-boosting neurochem...