What should I know about Cymbalta before taking it?

You should know that the safety and effectiveness of this drug for use by children has not been established. Side effects of this medicine may affect elderly patients more than younger patients, and the elderly are more likely to have hyponatremia, or low sodium in the blood. Using alcohol while taking this medication is not recommended. Cymbalta can cause agitation, irritability, suicidal thoughts, and severe depression. You should report any changes in you or your child’s behavior, mood, thoughts, or feelings to your doctor immediately. This is particularly important when the drug is first started, and it is especially true for children, teenagers, and young adults. Look for signs of deepening depression, increasing anxiety, agitation, hostility, panic attacks, restlessness, insomnia, extreme hyperactivity, and suicidal thinking or behavior. People with a family history of bipolar disorder are also at greater risk. Cymbalta also can cause fainting and falls, especially in the first week of use or after a dosage adjustment.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
What are the side effects of SSNRIs in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs) include Effexor (venlafaxine) an...
What are the different types of antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
There are many antidepressants on the market today. Why do we need so many different medications to ...