Is it safe to take Remeron if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, you may be able to use the antidepressant Remeron (mirtazapine) -- but because the drug does pass into breast milk, you should know that there is some risk involved. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) reviewed a small number of cases where mothers nursed while taking Remeron. Based on this limited information (which is not as reliable as a large medical study), the NIH concluded that doses of up to 120 milligrams (mg) per day are safe for babies 2 months and older. If you decide to breastfeed while taking Remeron, be sure to tell your pediatrician so he or she can watch your baby for any changes in behavior or growth.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How often should I take antidepressants for perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
There are various types and doses of antidepressants available by prescription from medical health-c...
How do antidepressants work?
Tarique D. Periera, MDTarique D. Periera, MD
Antidepressants reduce and reverse depression. They are believed to increase mood-boosting neurochem...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?