Is it safe to take Effexor if I'm breastfeeding?

It may not be safe to take Effexor (venlafaxine) if you're breastfeeding. This antidepressant passes into breast milk, and the effects on a nursing baby are not known.

Before taking Effexor, tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or if you are pregnant and plan to breastfeed. He can help you weigh the potential benefits of treatment with Effexor against the potential risks to a breastfeeding baby.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder in dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Starting antidepressants in individuals with dementia and depression who may have an underlying bipo...
How are antidepressant medications used to treat bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Antidepressants treat the symptoms of depression. In bipolar disorder, antidepressants must be u...
What is nortriptyline?
Nortriptyline (Pamelor) is an antidepressant that can help people quit smoking. But it has not been ...
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...