Is it safe to take Effexor if I'm breastfeeding?

It may not be safe to take Effexor (venlafaxine) if you're breastfeeding. This antidepressant passes into breast milk, and the effects on a nursing baby are not known.

Before taking Effexor, tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or if you are pregnant and plan to breastfeed. He can help you weigh the potential benefits of treatment with Effexor against the potential risks to a breastfeeding baby.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
How do tricyclic antidepressants treat low back pain?
The tricyclic antidepressants amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep) and nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor) are...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?