Is it safe to take Effexor if I'm breastfeeding?

It may not be safe to take Effexor (venlafaxine) if you're breastfeeding. This antidepressant passes into breast milk, and the effects on a nursing baby are not known.

Before taking Effexor, tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or if you are pregnant and plan to breastfeed. He can help you weigh the potential benefits of treatment with Effexor against the potential risks to a breastfeeding baby.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know before taking tricyclic antidepressants?
Some tricyclic antidepressants may not be safe or effective for children and adolescents. Consult in...
What is nortriptyline?
Nortriptyline (Pamelor) is an antidepressant that can help people quit smoking. But it has not been ...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?