Is it safe to take aspirin or ibuprofen if I'm taking Paxil?

Aspirin, ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may not be safe to take with the antidepressant Paxil (paroxetine). The combination of NSAIDs and Paxil may raise your risk for abnormal bleeding, resulting in problems ranging from bruises and hematomas (blood-filled swollen areas) to life-threatening hemorrhages.  

Before you start taking Paxil, give your doctor a list of all of your medications (prescription and over-the-counter) and dietary and herbal supplements to minimize your risk of potentially dangerous interactions.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
How is doxepin used to treat insomnia?
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?