Is there a generic version of Paxil CR?

The generic version of Paxil CR is extended-release paroxetine. Both Paxil CR (CR stands for controlled release) and extended-release paroxetine are tablets available in three possible doses, 12.5 milligrams (mg), 25 mg and 37.5 mg. They are formulated to dissolve slowly to release medication gradually over the course of a day.

Paxil CR and its generic equivalent are antidepressant medications that treat depression by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain. They are SSRIs, which stands for serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How effective is antidepressant medication?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
Most healthcare professionals would agree that treating depression is not as simple as popping a pil...
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?