Is there a generic version of Paxil?

There is a generic version of the antidepressant Paxil, called paroxetine. It is available as a tablet in the same dosages as Paxil -- 10 milligrams (mg), 20 mg, 30 mg, and 40 mg. It is also available as an extended-release (long-acting) tablet, and as a liquid, just as Paxil is. Paxil and its generic equivalent treat depression, anxiety disorders, and some other mental illnesses by altering the level of the brain chemical serotonin. They belong to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What antidepressants help treat gastrointestinal (GI) disorders?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Three groups of antidepressant medications can be used to treat functional gastrointestinal (GI) dis...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?