Is there a generic version of Celexa?

The generic version of Celexa is citalopram. Celexa is an antidepressant medication prescribed to treat major depressive disorder (MDD). Citalopram belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It is thought to help improve depression by adjusting the level of a particular chemical (or neurotransmitter) in the brain called serotonin.

In addition to treating MDD, citalopram is sometimes prescribed for eating disorders, alcoholism, panic disorders, social phobia and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?