Is desipramine safe for my child?

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has approved the use of desipramine for adolescents 13 and older. There are situations where doctors prescribe desipramine for children ages six to 12 years of age. Studies have found that a small number of children and young adults begin to think about committing suicide or harming themselves after they start taking antidepressants such as desipramine.

It's not clear that antidepressants actually cause suicidal thoughts, however, because depression itself can increase the risk for suicidal behavior. Pay close attention to your child's mood and behavior after he or she begins taking desipramine. Also, desipramine may cause the skin to become sensitive to the sun, so make sure your child wears sun block.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are symptoms of withdrawal from antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you have been taking antidepressants for a period of six weeks or more, abruptly stopping the...
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?