If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Paxil?

If you are pregnant, talk to your doctor about the safety of Paxil (paroxetine). Research shows that taking this antidepressant during pregnancy may raise your baby's risk of birth defects, particularly defects of the heart that may require surgery. Women who take Paxil during pregnancy are also at increased risk of premature and/or complicated deliveries, and their babies may be more likely to be born with a condition in which they have too little oxygen in their blood.

Talk to your doctor about whether Paxil's benefits outweigh the potential risks to your developing fetus. If you become pregnant while you are taking Paxil, call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?