If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Paxil?

If you are pregnant, talk to your doctor about the safety of Paxil (paroxetine). Research shows that taking this antidepressant during pregnancy may raise your baby's risk of birth defects, particularly defects of the heart that may require surgery. Women who take Paxil during pregnancy are also at increased risk of premature and/or complicated deliveries, and their babies may be more likely to be born with a condition in which they have too little oxygen in their blood.

Talk to your doctor about whether Paxil's benefits outweigh the potential risks to your developing fetus. If you become pregnant while you are taking Paxil, call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?