If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Savella?

If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, you should take Savella (milnacipran), a drug prescribed to treat fibromyalgia, only if you and your doctor feel the benefits to you outweigh the risks to your developing fetus. Savella has not been studied in pregnant women. Savella belongs to a class of medications known as serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). Women who have taken other SNRIs during their third trimester have delivered babies with serious medical problems, including breathing and feeding trouble, seizures, low blood sugar, vomiting, shaking, temperature control problems and constant crying. Your doctor may gradually lower your dose during your last trimester to reduce these risks. Call your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking Savella.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
What are the different types of antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
There are many antidepressants on the market today. Why do we need so many different medications to ...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?