If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Luvox?

If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant soon, talk to your doctor before taking Luvox (fluvoxamine), a drug that is prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and social anxiety disorder. Luvox may harm your developing fetus, particularly if taken during the last trimester of pregnancy. Newborns of women who take Luvox in the third trimester may need prolonged hospitalization, tubal feeding and assistance to breathe.

You and your doctor may need to weigh your potential benefits from taking Luvox against the potential risks to your developing fetus. Your doctor may want to taper your dose, at least in the last trimester of your pregnancy.

If you become pregnant while taking Luvox, call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Does the FDA place warnings on antidepressants?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has now placed a warning on the labels of antidepressants...
Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?