If phenelzine is not working for me, can I just stop taking it?

When a medicine you are on does not seem to be helping, it is tempting to just stop taking it. However, if you do this with phenelzine you risk suffering withdrawal symptoms. This is a group of symptoms that may happen if you lower the dose of a medication too quickly or if you stop taking the medication, rather than slowly lowering your dose.

Withdrawal symptoms include nausea, vomiting and a general sense of feeling unwell, called malaise. More serious symptoms include sweating, hallucinations and sleep disturbances. These symptoms can be prevented by gradually decreasing your dose of phenelzine, based on your doctor's instructions, rather than stopping it suddenly.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I help prevent weight gain from antidepressant medication?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
If you find yourself troubled by weight gain as a side effect of antidepressant medication, ther...
What antidepressants are used to treat Alzheimer's disease?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
Here is a list of the antidepressant medications used for Alzheimer's disease and their correspo...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?