If phenelzine is not working for me, can I just stop taking it?

When a medicine you are on does not seem to be helping, it is tempting to just stop taking it. However, if you do this with phenelzine you risk suffering withdrawal symptoms. This is a group of symptoms that may happen if you lower the dose of a medication too quickly or if you stop taking the medication, rather than slowly lowering your dose.

Withdrawal symptoms include nausea, vomiting and a general sense of feeling unwell, called malaise. More serious symptoms include sweating, hallucinations and sleep disturbances. These symptoms can be prevented by gradually decreasing your dose of phenelzine, based on your doctor's instructions, rather than stopping it suddenly.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
Is it safe to take antidepressants during pregnancy?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Most experts agree that some new-generation antidepressants (e.g., Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, Well...
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
How effective is duloxetine for treating osteoarthritis?
Research on duloxetine has found it to be about as effective as NSAIDs for improving pain and functi...